homeLogo enroll facebook twitter instagram linkedin youtube
staff login
In This Section

Community Partner FAQs

Community Partner FAQs

What does MPS mean by the term 'Contracted Community Partner'?
A Community Partner is an external organization that has a contract to provide services or programming to students in partnership with the District.  These services are provided either during the school day or after school and take place at school sites. Some partners are paid by MPS and some provide services free-of-charge to MPS.  Families are never directly charged for these services.

If a Community Partner is providing services free of charge- do they still need a contract?
Yes- all community partnerships must have a contract in place, regardless if money is exchanging hands. 

If a Community Partner has the same program in multiple MPS schools, does the Partner need a separate contract for each school site?
If the same program takes place at multiple schools, only one contract may be needed (could vary if Partner is paid by MPS).  However, if a Community Partner has multiple programs to offer, a separate contract will needed for each program

Can the program start in the school before the contracting process is complete?
Programs are not allowed to begin until the final signed contract is received from MPS.

How can I learn more about becoming a Community Partner? 
For more information, please visit our Prospective Partners page.

How can students learn about my organization's programs?
Per MN Statute and MPS Policy, recruiting and referring students to participate in a community partner program is not allowed. Even if MPS identifies a student who might benefit from a program’s services, MPS cannot pass their name onto the partner organization. Allowable alternative practices for engagement of program services include:

  • Tabling at school-organized information fairs,  parent teacher conferences, open houses, registration nights, and other events and activities as approved by building administration.  School principals have the authority to decide if/when/where tabling can occur.
  • Classroom presentations- partners may present information about their program but cannot distribute registration forms. School principals have the authority to approve classroom presentations.
  • Participate in the carry-home flyer program (grades k-8 only) or post flyers on designated information display boards in a school building.
  • School staff can provide students with information about available resources and the student can then approach the organization

Can my organization take photos or videos of students during programming?
Contracted Community Partners wishing to take photos/videos of students during programming must obtain signed parent/guardian consent before taking any photos of students.  Partners are expected to comply with MPS policies and practices.  For more information, please visit MPS Contracted Community Partner photo/video release form.

I am a contracted/authorized community partner.  Can I meet with a student during the school day?
Partners must follow school’s process for meeting with students.  Unless an emergency or required by law, MPS does not allow partners to meet with students during instructional time.  Any meetings during the school day are at the discretion of school leadership and must not significantly interfere with the student’s educational programming.

I have signed parental consent to observe a student in class.  Why can’t I do that?
As a general practice, MPS does not allow non-MPS individuals to conduct classroom observations for the following reasons:

  • Issues of data privacy: In a classroom, student’s names are not private; especially in special education classrooms – if another non-MPS adult spends time in this classroom and hears student names, we are indirectly telling this adult that this child is a special education student, which is private information.
  • Disruption to the learning environment: Any adult who enters into the classroom can cause disruption to the observed child or any other child, especially if the student knows the adult.                 
  • Possible role confusion for child: Having another adult in the classroom that has a professional relationship with the child can muddy the idea of who is in charge of that child in that classroom.

Who can I contact for support or questions?
Please contact us at cpo@mpls.k12.mn.us or 612-668-0542