Community Partner FAQ
In This Section

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What does MPS mean by the term Community Partner?
A Community Partner is an external organization who is contracted to provide services or programming to students in partnership with the District.  These services are provided either during the school day or after school and take place at school sites. 

If a Community Partner is providing services free of charge- do they still need a contract?
Yes- a
ll community partnerships must have a contract in place, regardless if money is exchanging hands. 

If a Community Partner has the same program in multiple MPS schools, does the Partner need a separate contract for each school site?
If the same program takes place at multiple schools, only one contract may be needed (could vary if Partner is paid by MPS).  However, if a Community Partner has multiple programs to offer, a separate contract will needed for each programCan the program start in the school before the contracting process is complete?
Programs are not allowed to begin until the final signed contract is received from MPS.

How can students learn about my program?
Per MPS’ Directory Information policy (1040), partners cannot obtain any data about any student who is not in their program, including student names.  Even if MPS identifies a student who might benefit from a program’s services, MPS cannot pass their name onto the partner organization.

Per MN Statute and MPS Policy, recruiting and referring students to participate in a community partner program is not allowed. Allowable alternative practices for engagement of program services include:

-Tabling at school-organized information fairs,  parent teacher conferences, open houses, registration nights, and other events and activities as approved by building administration.  School principals have the authority to decide when and where tabling can occur.
Principal and teacher approved classroom presentations.  Partners may present information about their program, but cannot hand out any sign-up information at the presentation.
Participate in the carry-home flyer program
-School staff can provide students with information about available resources and the student can then approach the organization

I am a Contracted Community Partner.  Can I meet with a student during the school day?
Partners must follow school’s process for meeting with students.  Unless an emergency or required by law, MPS does not allow partners to meet with students during instructional time.  Any meetings during the school day are at the discretion of school leadership (includes timing and frequency of meetings) and must not significantly interfere with the student’s educational programming.

I have signed parental consent to observe a student in class.  Why can’t I do that?
As a general practice, MPS does not allow non-MPS individuals to conduct classroom observations for the following reasons:
-Issues of data privacy: In a classroom, student’s names are not private; especially in special education classrooms – if another non MPS adult spends time in this classroom and hears student names.  We are indirectly telling this adult that this child is a special education student, which is private information.
-Disruption to the learning environment: Any adult who enters into the classroom can cause disruption to the observed child or any other child; especially if the student knows the adult.                
-Purpose of the observation information: Raises the questions of, What do the observers do with the info? If classroom observation information is shared with parents, what if the observed has concerns about the teaching and how the teacher interacts with the assigned child or others?  How is that information managed?
-Possible Role confusion for child: Having an adult in the classroom that has another professional relationship with the child can muddy the idea of who is in charge of that child in that classroom.  If there is a behavior issue,   or the child becomes sad or upset, will be observer feel the need to respond?  What if the child approaches the observed with a complaint or a concern? 


Who can I contact for support or questions?
Please contact us at or 612-668-0542

How can I learn more about becoming a Community Partner? 
For more information, please visit our Prospective Partners page.